What is Service Learning?
An opportunity to serve in the community and gain an understanding of civic responsibility. The student has a chance to reflect on their service experience which can help with building character and problem solving skills.
- in building homes for less fortunate
- in feeding the homeless or disadvantaged
- to a shelter or children’s program
- with shut-ins or visiting senior citizen centers
- to help those in need in the local area
- and read to kids on a regular basis (after school program)
How it Works
- Find a service learning opportunity(Read the directions in packet.)
- Complete the assumption of risk document and submit it to the Office of Special Programs located in the College Center, Room 225.
- Begin your service learning experience.
- Track your time and hours per the guidelines outlined in the packet.
- Complete the Student Information and Agency Placement Information form; enter the times you start and end work on the time sheet each day and obtain the required signatures; complete the survey and write your essay/reflection paper.
- Set up a brief appointment with our Program Counselor, Jessica Garcia to submit your completed packet by the due date on the front page of the packet.
- Packets must be submitted in person.
- Once your packet has been cleared and verified your documents will be prepared and mailed to you.